Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Danger in Comfort

We all love to sing even though some of us are not really gifted with it (I assure you, you don't want to hear me sing).
"...no matter what I face, when trouble comes my way, I will praise your name."
Somebody once mentioned that its not easy to praise God when things are going rough. But we've just got to do it. Let's take a look at this version of the song; "...no matter what I face, when success comes my way, I will praise your name". Most of us think its easy to praise when we're successful but I'd say its not easy to as much as remember God. In Deuteronomy 8, Moses was warning the Israelites against the dangers of comfort. "Don't forget your God when you have eaten and are full." David's kingdom had become powerful and had conquered its enemies around. And so "...at a time when kings go to war..." (2 Samuel 11:1), David stayed back home in Jerusalem where he saw Bathsheba - the rest is history!
Israel was more prosperous under Solomon than under any other king in its history. Need I mention how many wives Solomon ended up with? Not to mention concubines!
So, I guess when next I sing that song, I'll say "...no matter what I face, whatever comes my way, I will praise your name!"

No comments: